Sorry for not having posted recently – as you’ll soon see things have ‘interesting’ of late :S I’d been spending quite a bit of time on the kart: I needed to put the engine back on following it’s rebuild and, whilst the engine was off, I had wanted to give the back end a good clean but had trouble removing the sprocket carrier so I was keen to put that right.
I spent three successive evenings working on the kart last week (when it comes to kart maintenance one thing invariably leads to another), firstly tackling the sprocket carrier: it was a little awkward as the sprocket protector was still in place on the brake side of the carrier but tap by tap, I managed to knock it with a hammer (lubing, hitting each arm of the sprocket carrier in turn and repeating until free – all whilst I had a pair of screwdrivers carefully tapped into the slots on the carrier to help free it from the axle. I got there in the end!
Whilst cleaning the back end, I noticed that the chassis was running at it’s lowest setting:
This is how you would set up a kart in hot weather, where you had too much rear end grip (you would typically raise the axle in the wet when you want to raise the centre of gravity) but this was not how I wanted the kart set up whilst Junior is still learning to drive so I removed the axle and set it to the standard (middle) height. And of course, I took the opportunity to clean the chassis around the bearings whilst I had the chance 😉
I then decided to adjust the seat as my measurements were some way from the Tonykart recommendations. With hindsight this might not have been a great idea: it took a long time, Junior got hacked off holding the seat in place and I don’t think I ended up much more ‘optimal’ than I had started out. And I forgot about the weights when putting the seat back on.
Ah, the weights… the highlight(?) of last week!!! Having weighed Junior at Llandow I reckoned we needed 7kg of lead and the black restrictor to put us at the correct race weight. I already had 3kg that came with the kart and I bought a 4kg lump for £15 from the forums, it just needed fitting – 3kg went on the side of the seat (low on the brake side to offset the engine weight). After hammering the lead weights flat so as to fit flush to the seat, it was pretty straightforward. The 4kg weight had other ideas – I hit it flat and held it in position to mark the drill holes. My marking pencil had disappeared so I went off to fetch it, holding the lead in place against the seat in one hand. As I went back outside the lead slipped and I instinctively (and stupidly) put my foot out to break the fall!!!!!!!! Painful was an understatement.
I got back from hospital just before 2am with very swollen, very sorry looking broken toe. Funnily enough, I haven’t done anything on the kart since! I have a injured toe photo that I took in A&E that was very popular with my Facebook friends but I’ve decided not to post it here 😉 I am hoping to be fit enough to run Junior at Clay on Saturday but push starting is an obvious concern. Fingers crossed…
Cost of an especially damaging 4kg lead weight: £15
Total spent so far: £2,925